How Do You Crate Train a Puppy?
A dog crate, or indoor home is an excellent tool to have for your dog. It provides a safe place for your dog and it works great to train your dog. We use a crate with Yara as well, we didn’t have a crate with Nikita. The big advantance is that I know that Yara is safe when she is home alone. You can see Yara’s crate on the left 🙂
At first we placed the crate in the house and just left it open, we have put a nice dog bed in it like this one Midwest Quiet Time Pet Bed Deluxe Tan Ombre Swirl 35″ x 23″
and also some of her favorite toys and a bowl with water and when letting her get used at the crate, we put in a favorite snack or a bone she liked very much. All these things made sure that Yara liked her crate and went in and out by herself.
Many people find a crate pathetic. They see the crate as a prison. The opposite is true, a crate is a perfect place for your dog or puppy to relax, to feel safe. But you as the dog owner should make it a safe and fun place, by letting your puppy get used to the crate, make it a great experience. Give it time before you close the crate, your puppy should be relaxed in the crate.
If you have small children, or small children come over then a dog crate can be very usefull. For your dog at some times it can be the perfect place then to hide and relax.
Some crate training tips
- Put the crate on a quiet, draft-free place. Preferably in the living room. In the kitchen or Hall may also, but it’s more comfortable for your dog to have contact you when he is in his crate
- Put a dog bed in the crate, the one your dog already has or buy him a new one
- Give your puppy some very good treats in the crate, only in the crate, because the crate should be a fun and safe place.
- Feed him in the crate.
- The crate represents a great place where your puppy/dog get’s snacks en toys, where he has a place to sleep.
- When your puppy/dog is used to the crate, he goes in and out by himself, plays in it, then you start with closing the door. First for a minute or so and the longer and longer.
- Buy a crate that suits your dog, so not to small and not to big
- Some dogs or puppy’s like it when you cover the crate or part of the crate. We have that for Yara as well, a part of the crate is covered with a towel or something. If your dog or puppy realy likes to be covered up you can also buy a crate like this one ->>
- Never Ever punish your puppy or dog in the crate!