Dog Breed Groups
Dog Breed Groups
The FCI = Fédération Cynologique Internationale have organized the dog breeds in 10 groups. Below I will discuss the groups and the behavior.
- Sheepdogs & Cattle Dogs (except Swiss Cattle Dogs)- driving, hearding and guarding cattle.
- Pinscher and Schnauzer – Molossoid Breeds – Swiss Mountain and Cattle Dogs – exterminate rats and mice. They are good guard dogs. Molossoid Breeds – large dog breeds, heavily built, broad head and short snout.
- Group 3 Terriers – Hunt rodents, both underground and above ground, solid/firm tail. Be drawn from a cave to tail
- Section 1: Large and medium-sized Terriers
- Section 2: Small-sized Terriers
- Section 3: Bull type Terriers
- Section 4: Toy Terriers
- Dachshunds – Hunt Badgers and foxes, short-haired, shaggy and long-haired. cheerful, alert, smart, cocky, courageous and faithful
- Spitz and Primitive types – Husky, Akita – peace-loving dogs, for example, they need to work together to pull the sleigh.
- Section 1: Nordic Sledge Dogs
- Section 2: Nordic Hunting Dogs
- Section 3: Nordic Watchdogs and Herders
- Section 4: European Spitz
- Section 5: Asian Spitz and related breeds
- Section 6: Primitive type
- Section 7: Primitive type – Hunting Dogs
- Section 8: Primitive type Hunting Dogs with a ridge on the back
- Scenthounds and Related Breeds – they can detect blood. a characteristic is a huge sense of smell and making loud sound when they have found the prey. Related breeds (Dalmatian and Rhodesian Ridgeback). The large breeds need enough space and exercise to stay balanced. They can bark a lot.
- Pointing Dogs – The name pointercomes from the dog’s instinct to point, by stopping and aiming its muzzle towards game. This demonstrates to the hunter the location of his or her quarry and allows them to move into gun range.
- Retrievers – Flushing Dogs – Water Dogs
- Section 1: Retrievers, they retrieve
- Section 2: Flushing Dogs – is used as a hunting dog.
- Section 3: Water Dogs – they retrieve from the water
- Companion and Toy Dogs – want to please man. great character
- Sighthounds – Intelligent, independent, independent, gentle, reserved, quiet. They need a lot of exercise. fierce hunting passion
These are the 10 FCI groups. In other posts we are going to discuss the individual breeds.