How To Control Obesity In Dogs?
Dog Over Weight
Obesity is a severe illness. It is the most disease in pets and people; estimates show that approximately 45% of dogs are obese, obesity is not just a human related problem, overweight dogs/fat dogs is becoming common in our society.
Obesity is commonly a nutritional disorder in dogs. As well as people, dogs get fat through over feeding and inadequate exercise. It doesn’t really matter if you are only giving your dog a little amount of food per day, if the exercise your dog is getting is not sufficiently, he might still gain weight. Over time, he can and will surely get fat.
A fat dog is not a healthy dog. Overweight dogs will eventually develop health issues such as diabetes, and overweight can eventually aggravate conditions like arthritis, which often develops in middle-aged dogs and elderly dogs. It will cause breathing difficulties. If your dog is obese please put him on a diet and excercise with your dog, if not, you Will shorten your dog’s life, that’s a fact.
Formula to estimate how much calories your dog can have
maintenance energy requirement (MER)
MER(kcal)= 132 x (body weight in kilograms)0.75
What is the daily energy requirements of a 10 lb dog?
- Convert pounds to kilograms ( 1 lbs = 0.454 kg)
10 lbs x 0.454 = 4.54 kg
- Determine the metabolic body weight (kg0.75)
4.540.75 = 3.11
- Multiply metabolic body weight by 132
3.11 x 132 = 410.5 or 411 kcal
Therefore, a 10 pound dog requires 411 kcal per day.
Preventing Your Dog from Becoming overweight.
There are some few common-sense weight control measures
- If you practice “free feeding “(keeping dry dog food for 24/7), STOP. If your dog refuses to eat his food within about 15 minutes, take his dish away.
- Reduce your dog’s in between meal treats and snacks. Dog treats are mostly high in calories, and fat and treats like biscuits and cookies for dogs are heavy in low-fiber
- Give your dog regularl exercise. Ideally, you should go for a brisk walk with your dog for at least 20 minutes and twice a day. Just as it is good for you, it is also good for your dog in maintaining a healthy weight for you and your
- If your dog is overweight, consult your vet about finding the maximum calorie intake for him.Also, consider switching to dog food with low fat and giving him low-fat dog treats and snacks.
Healthy feeding tips for controlling dog overweight
With just Another way that could help in maintaining dog’s healthy diet is by dividing your dog’s meal into multiple servings. The first possibility would be to serve your dog half of his daily portion at morning, and the other portion of his daily serving at the early hours of the evening. This is a good practice because it helps better digestion of the dog’s food, and it also give them more time to generate enough energy and burn off the after effect of the food.
When trying to sustain a healthy diet for your dog, it is imperative that you stick to one source of food and not use a different kind of foods from different source In feeding your dog. This helps in keeping their digestive process on track. Treats can be given once in a while, but not all the time. Excess feeding might lead to obesity in dog regardless of what they are feeding on. The point to keep in mind is that it’s very important to stick to one particular food source, and treats should be given occasionally.